Thursday, April 17, 2008

Song poetry by the seaside

http://www.seetucson.com/MLSpics/20739159.jpg

More on aural nirvana - I have had a recurring dream, where I live on a villa high on a cliff overlooking a sea of azure. The villa has arch windows. They are always open, letting in a balmy breeze. Floor-to-ceiling windows. I have seen it back in college, in my boyfriend's GQ magazine. I think it was an ad for Paco Rabanne. I thought to myself all these years, what music would I listen to if I were to spend a vacation at a villa like this? Brian Ferry keeps coming back. Bete Noire. Again. The sounds of freedom from worries, of well-being, of inner, profound happiness. Maybe David Bowie.
The voice and chord syncopation assuring me that they can be shared with a loved one (like Janet), who savors the same aesthetic expectation in music, though, possibly, having different taste in it.

And thus, we did have a musically intensive vacation. It was on the Cote d'Azur. We listened to Brian Ferry's New Town, More than This, and then, David Bowie's Heroes

I, I will be king
And you, you will be queen
Though nothing will drive them away
We can beat them, just for one day
We can be Heroes, just for one day

And you, and you can be mean
And I, I'll drink all the time
'Cause we're lovers, and that is a fact
Yes we're lovers, and that is that

Though nothing will keep us together
We could steal time, just for one day
We can be Heroes, for ever and ever
What d'you say?

I, I wish you could swim
Like the dolphins, like dolphins can swim
Though nothing, nothing will keep us together
We can beat them, for ever and ever
Oh we can be Heroes, just for one day

Isn't it a beautiful poem for feeling great by a seaside? I think Bowie and Ferry sound well together - Bowie has admitted to be inspired by Ferry's glam crooner image, hence resulting in the album Lodger.

http://www.timeout.com/chicago/resizeImage/htdocs/export_images/137/137.x600.gay.Exes.opener.jpg

I remember when I was choosing the name for this blog. One of my friends said  it should be Lesbia Bound. Another says its Lesbia Benitez. Why Benitez? I said that it had to be less puritan and more hip. She, a chubby lookalike of the bank owner's secretary from Beverly Hillbillies, says that Lipstick Lesbia is just fine. She even kissed me sneakily, on a darkened patio during a party. The picture above is just right in capturing the makeup of the party.

No comments: