Sunday, April 27, 2008

wishing for Catellani G-string

While touring vacationing in Europe (where, incidentally, I met the I whore for art (Supernaut) gal) I discovered the Castellani pieces, presented in the Louvre. Even to someone who has regularly seen marvelous goldsmith work in India, besides lesbian Tantra monasteries, these pieces, their delicacy and precision, and especially the astonishing work in a technique called granule-poussiere ("dust granulation"), which is granular work with gold balls not the size of grains of sand, as you may see in India, but of the particles of pollen so that, at first glance, the surface so embellished appears to be covered with tea-dust or powdered-sugar. (If you look at the owl pin (among the illustrations of this post), you will note the fine pattern of feathers on the bird. If you look really closely, you will note it is actually made of the powder-granules. Yes, they are that fine).

To me this is not just a wonderful experience -- and an exciting antiquarian discovery -- but also an object lesson how artistic techniques are lost, reinvented and then lost again. I want to know why the Castellanis closed up -- thereby taking western granulation and filigree techniques back to their graves again.

Do go to Villa Giulia, my sweet Janet, and let me know what you can find out.

The beauty of Castellani leaves me wishing for something of that delicate exuberance to decorate my waistline for a romantic evening, where they would be under an exquisite evening gown, modestly cut, underneath, however, would have me look like this:

I think it is most titillating experience of peeling away the pretense of European look from my body to present my girlfriend the promising silkiness of fine lingerie.

No comments: